

**ICANN  
Transcription  
NCUC-Exec team call  
Friday, 16 December 2016 at 21:00 UTC**

Note: Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases it is incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages or transcription errors. It is posted as an aid to understanding the proceedings at the meeting, but should not be treated as an authoritative record. The audio is also available at:

<https://icann.box.com/shared/static/xbcrph9ce278ewi71eyzz46lf0tjjao.mp3>

**Participants:**

Farzaneh Badii – NCUC Chair  
Tatiana Tropina  
Ines Hfaiedh  
Anna Loup  
Tapani Tarvainen  
David Cake  
Renata Aquino Ribeiro

Apologies:  
none

Staff:  
Benedetta Rossi  
Terri Agnew

Coordinator: Excuse me, recordings have started.

Terri Agnew: Thank you. Good morning, good afternoon and good evening. Welcome to the NCUC Executive Team call taking place on Friday the 16th of December, 2016 at 2100 UTC.

I would like to remind all participants to please state your name before speaking for transcription purposes. With this, I'll turn it back over to Farzi. Please begin.

Farzaneh Badii: Hi, everyone. Thank you very much, Terri. This is Farzaneh Badii speaking. So today I sent you the agenda, we are going to discuss a couple of things and hopefully come to conclusion on what we want to do and come up with (unintelligible).

With that, I'm going to start - I have also invited Benedetta to discuss three of our agenda items and also Tapani is here to talk to us about intercessional. What we are - what I'm going to do is I'm going to start with intercessional - okay so I'm going to - what I'm going to do then we are going to start from intercessional because well Tapani would want to speak to that. And I think he would appreciate it if we just talk about intercessional so that he can leave us.

So let's talk about intercessional. And, Benedetta, is it possible for you to give us a brief on what intercessional is and why we are - why we initially had this meeting - this intercessional meeting and some sort of kind of like the discussion on logistics and when it's going to happen. Thank you.

((Crosstalk))

Terri Agnew: This is Terri. I just wanted to make sure you saw Tapani's chat.

Farzaneh Badii: Yes, I can see that. Okay so let's go with - okay, we go with CROP and then so I asked Benedetta to tell us what CROP we have. CROP is the - I don't know what it is - I don't know what - I don't know what it stands for but these are the outreach opportunities that we have. And Benedetta will explain to us what sort of rules, what we should observe when we announce these CROP opportunities and how we want to proceed with them.

Benedetta, are you - to give us a brief presentation on CROP?

Benedetta Rossi: Yes, of course. My name is...

((Crosstalk))

Benedetta Rossi: Can you hear me okay?

Farzaneh Badii: Okay wonderful. Yes.

Benedetta Rossi: I'm sorry, I couldn't hear you. Can you hear me okay?

Farzaneh Badii: Yes, we can hear you.

Benedetta Rossi: Perfect. Thank you. So, yes, so the CROP program stands for Community Regional Outreach Pilot program. So we're not at the - I believe in the fourth consecutive year of this pilot program. And, yes, so the purpose of the program is to build local and regional awareness and recruitment of new community members, try to more effectively engage with current members or reactivate ICANN community members who were previously engaged and communicating ICANN's mission and objectives to new audiences while collaborating with the ICANN regional strategy.

So for this year we've actually expanded the option for the GNSO so this is a program that is both available for the GNSO constituencies and the At Large community. But so At Large they use it just for trips whereas based on community feedback in the previous years of this program we've realized that the event option was very important for GNSO constituencies so we've expanded that and incorporated this into this year's - well we started it last year but this year it's even more expanded for FY'17.

So this slide actually shows you what we used to have in FY'16 to show what the options are for this year so I'll focus on this year just to avoid confusing you.

So the GNSO has three different options. So you have the option of choosing between four regional trip allocations with three nights and four days standard. So we've actually increased this for this year compared to the other years. Previously it used to be two nights and three days and that proved to be very challenging for community members to attend events because they tended to be two or three day events so with the travel it just - it was quite challenging so we - we're happy to say that we've increased it for this year.

And then the other option is two outreach events so the sponsorship of two outreach events or activities with a bunch of \$7500 US maximum. Or the third option is a combination of the two options so two regional trips and one outreach event of up to \$7500.

So within the outreach event you can actually choose for example to fund some travel as long as you're also sponsoring an event. So for the NCUC you've made your selection for this year and it was Option Number - hold on, let me just go back - Number 2. Sorry, Number 3 so you chose two regional trips and one outreach event. And one of the trip allocations has already been used - I believe it is was in July so you now have one outreach event and one trip left over to use by the end of the fiscal year.

So here this slide just shows you what the preparation for CROP is. So the first step to be able to - basically the only requirement to be able to be eligible to use the program is to have an outreach strategic plan that just outlined your goals for - as a constituency for the fiscal year and how CROP basically help you conduct further outreach. And then within that you submit the outreach strategic plan on the wiki space; everything on CROP is done through the wiki space. We have specific templates on the wiki. And you make your selection between the three options.

And then the - I'm the - I should have introduced myself, in terms of the CROP program I'm the - what we call the CROP administrator for the GNSO so anything that has to do with CROP you'd be liaising with me.

And so my responsibility is to then share the outreach strategic plan with all of the global stakeholder engagement vice presidents at ICANN to make sure that they're aware of what your goals are for the fiscal year and that when you then submit any proposals so any trips or outreach events they can then step in to help you depending on the region. So, you know, if it's an African event the African Vice President will try and help you organize the event, for example.

So that's basically the only requirement to use CROP is to have an updated strategic plan posted and then shared with the VPs. Yes, sorry, this slide deck is quite brief.

But the most important aspect of the - of any proposal in terms of CROP is the timing. So if you're looking to schedule a trip, the minimum time that staff needs basically to process the trip is a minimum of six weeks before the planned travel date and the timing includes the approval. So you need to have it approved by your leadership team, so everyone on this call - and then the regional vice president of the region where the trip is taking place.

Whereas if you're planning to conduct an outreach event, it has to be a minimum of eight weeks, but, I mean, this is the first year where we're really starting to do the outreach events and we've realized that the guidelines of eight weeks is actually quite short notice for our regional team to be able to properly engage so I would recommend that for your outreach event to start planning basically as soon as you can that way you can maximize the resources and support you can get from the regional teams to help you with the event.

So that's pretty much CROP in a nutshell. I think that it's more important to see if you have any questions about the program. I'm more than happy to answer them.

Farzaneh Badii: Thank you, Benedetta. So we have applied for - can everyone hear me?

Benedetta Rossi: Yes.

Farzaneh Badii: Yes, great. So what we have, and you can correct me if I'm wrong, what we have, what NCUC has for CROP this year is one travel within a certain region, and one event. So we will get to spend \$7500 US on an event that can be held and also in conjunction with an ICANN meeting. And so and also we can - from that money we can also support someone or fly in someone that is experienced to help with outreach or speaking.

So what we need to decide is that what we want to do with CROP. So and in the past - travel support, more or less, but I think all of our slots were travel slots. So what we did was kind of make a call and ask the members to come up with ideas. Members need a little bit of help with this because well they don't just come up with ideas, for example, we can tell them which events are good, that they can go and do outreach for us.

Also what the NCUC has to decide is to what to do with the event. The event, and I talked to Benedetta and we can - we can actually hold the event before ICANN (unintelligible) for Johannesburg, for example. What I suggest is to decide what we want to do with CROP travel whether we want to come up with a list of events and then ask the members if they want to go - whether they have a - they have an outreach plan that they can do that they can carry out for us in the events.

And also what we need to decide is whether we want to hold the outreach event before Johannesburg. So if you have comments on this, I'm going to

send an email as well but if you have comments on this please just take the mic and let me know. Tatiana, please.

Tapani Tarvainen: Thank you very much, Farzaneh. Tatiana Tropina is speaking. I assume that since NCUC submitted a proposal for RightsCon in Brussels, it might be very good location because we have ICANN VP for Europe there and we have many people who can be related to noncommercial activities and ICANN at this event. And we can also recruit new people and renew and inform (unintelligible) about our activities.

But, again, I mean, I am speaking from the European point of view, but I believe that RightsCon is not only European, there would be people from all around the world. So it might be a good idea to use outreach event for this one because also we submitted the proposal. Thanks.

Farzaneh Badii: Okay thank you, Tatiana. So I put (unintelligible). Okay now it's better. So I put down the (unintelligible) and then I see David's hand is up and then (unintelligible). Okay so it's first up is David. Okay so David, please take the mic. I can see your hand. Okay. (Unintelligible) lowering their hand. David, would you like to speak or shall we go to Tapani?

Terri Agnew: Yes, I was just going to remind you, Tapani has his hand up as well.

Farzaneh Badii: Okay, so Tapani, please take the mic. I think David has some connection problem.

Tapani Tarvainen: Thank you, Farzaneh. Can you hear me now?

Farzaneh Badii: Yes.

((Crosstalk))

Tapani Tarvainen: ...you can? Okay. I just wanted to (unintelligible) I'm in Johannesburg at the very moment and I met today one of our NCUC members who is active in the ISOC chapter in the (Houton) area. And might be interested in organizing an outreach event in Johannesburg in - during ICANN 59. So if you're thinking about that I would suggest you contact him, (Fatam Fikpeh), I can send you the contact information if you like.

Farzaneh Badii: Wow that's wonderful. So thanks, Tapani. Anyone else have any idea, okay so if we all agree - if we all agree we will - I'm going to send an email to the mailing list - to the Executive Coordinator mailing list and I'm going to suggest a Johannesburg - before Johannesburg meeting - an outreach meeting and also if you have any other ideas of doing the CROP travel events, then we can do that.

Okay great. So (unintelligible) and, David, would you like to speak? And Anna wants to speak but I was wondering if David can get a chance now to speak.

David Cake: Can you hear me? Can anyone hear me?

Farzaneh Badii: Yes.

David Cake: Okay. You can hear me now. All I wanted to say was I liked Tatiana's suggestion of RightsCon as a possibility. And I used CROP funding to attend RightsCon previously when it was in the Philippines. So in my region. And I thought it was a very good event, very wide range of civil society people including a lot we would not normally see at an ICANN meeting. That's all.

Farzaneh Badii: Thanks a lot, David. Okay I wrote that down and Anna, it's your turn now if you can - you can take the mic.

Anna Loup: Okay. This is Anna Loup for the record. I just had a quick question. I'm remembering a few years back and I wasn't sure if was the NCUC, if they did an outreach event or they did some type of outreach at the International



Studies Association meeting. I know, you know, as a younger person there are a lot more young people who go to sort of these academic places because that's where they can get money from. So less higher level, a little bit lower level. But that might be a good place for outreach of, I guess, just younger members, people who are sort of coming up in the ranks.

Also there's a pretty great international crowd, there's some good representation from Latin America there as well. I have a few friends coming up. So just as an idea, I'm not really sure if that's been done in the past, just a suggestion.

Farzaneh Badii: Thanks, Anna. I will put that down as well. I actually - last year when I attended I tried to do some outreach but it wasn't very organized, I mean, I was there on my own and it was not on behalf of NCUC but I talked to people and I got like a 30-second kind of a flash thing that I could say what NCUC does. And (unintelligible) good meeting for Latin America and North America. And I will - and I will jot that down and I will send it in my email that I'm going to send you after this.

Okay, okay so they have - oh yes, that is true, Benedetta. So we have to consider this that when an event happens and we want to use CROP they have to be within the - the person that we send has to be from the region. And so for example in Brussels if we go with RightsCon, we have to send someone within Europe. Okay, if I'm not mistaken, Benedetta, is that right?

Benedetta Rossi: That's correct, yes.

Farzaneh Badii: Okay. But okay great. So now we kind of have discussed CROP, let's go to intercessional. And since Tapani is here and also Benedetta, so what I think we could gain from Benedetta and Tapani's contribution is to know what intercessional is and of course the community decides what it's for, but it would be good to get a little bit of background logistic-wise as well.

Benedetta, would you like to start in that?

Benedetta Rossi: Sure, I mean, honestly I'm not entirely familiar with the complex background of the meeting. But as far as I'm aware I know that it came from a special budget request that was put forward by the Non Contracted Party House in order to meet face to face in between ICANN meetings just to be able to have the opportunity to have a two-day event face to face out of the ICANN meeting constraints to be able to get organized and to strategize about obviously ICANN-related items, just not during an ICANN meeting.

So the first one was in 2013, if I'm not mistaken, yes, it was. And, yes, that was the first one. And then there was one in 2014 and then again last year. So in - that's pretty much the background. So it's always - it tends to be a two-meeting event where the Non Contracted Party House delegates meet face to face for two full days and then there's typically - staff typically organizes for based on the venues availability to have either a half day before the event or after the event to - for constituency meetings so just breakouts just to take advantage of the opportunity of having delegates from the various constituencies and stakeholder groups to meet face to face. That's sort of an added half day.

So for this year that's what's happening. I'm pleased to say, Farzaneh and Tapani, since on the last call we didn't have this completely confirmed but the dates are now completely confirmed so I've sent the travel team the current database of travelers and they will - they'll start to contact the delegates shortly. So the dates will be - the meeting will take place on Tuesday and Wednesday, 14th and 15th of February.

And then we'll have - you'll have the opportunity to have a half day meeting on Thursday the 16th until about noon. And that's - yes, so, yes, so the Thursday. And so travelers will arrive on the 13th and stay basically until the meetings end on the 16th. I know that Farzaneh has already mentioned that

the NCUC is planning on using the Thursday morning meeting so we've already noted that down.

So that's pretty much all we have so far in terms of the logistics. It's going to be taking place in Reykjavik in Iceland at the Hilton Reykjavik hotel. And that's pretty much all the information that we have so far. I know the planning team - the community planning team is starting to draft up an agenda but they're still deliberating on that so I don't have much of an update there.

I don't know if you have any specific questions that you wanted to cover about the intercessional meeting?

Farzaneh Badii: Yes, thanks a lot, Benedetta. Yes this is - we are going to discuss this and if you see you want to give us new information when we are discussing it at then you're welcome to. So, yes, Tapani, I actually (unintelligible) to discuss intercessional but (Matt) said that he cannot attend tonight.

So what we are going to do is I'm just going to give (unintelligible) some information about what we did during past two - well the - yesterday's session that I attended. So we have this preparatory session about what we want to do and what sort of agenda we want for the intercessional. And so I'm going to give information and if you want we can discuss it.

But I think we are going to have a (unintelligible) with the EC members to talk about - to talk about the agenda and the intercessional and probably we are going to - and we are going to invite (Matt) as well because he's going to be - a delegate part of our delegate. Great.

So okay so yesterday I attended so for the preparation of the intercessional, we meet - we meet and discuss with the CSG and NCUC and NCSG what we want to do. And so what we did was that yesterday we were kind of talking about - that we didn't go into like details of the agenda really but Greg Shatan

considered - said that perhaps other than talking about procedural issues of GNSO, we should also talk substance and policy.

So this is one thing that we have to consider going forward whether we want to talk about substance and policy and where we converge or diverge with CSG. That's one thing to consider. The other thing that is important is to - Benedetta, if there is Executive Committee members want to attend this preparatory meetings for intercessional can they just join?

Benedetta Rossi: Yes of course, you just need to let us know even if you'd like some - if you'd like your Executive Committee members added to the intercessional planning mailing list then we can do that for you. And then you'll receive the dial-in information and you can...

((Crosstalk))

Farzaneh Badii: Thank you, that's great. So maybe we can just add you all to the intercessional planning mailing list because you know you don't receive enough emails of course, but I would like you to be in the loop anyway. Okay.

So Tapani, I can see your hand is up. Please take the mic.

Tapani Tarvainen: Thank you, Farzi. Just a few logistical points. First, I understood that it would be possible - I'm sure Benedetta can confirm that Thursday until the evening of the 16th in case - in case flights don't work out otherwise. For example, I certainly can't leave - if I leave afternoon or nearby from Reykjavik I will have to stay - sleep overnight somewhere in like London, which doesn't make any sense. The only convenient flights towards Europe leave in the morning. But I understand that's been approved (unintelligible) then it might be possible to use that time for something useful as well.

Another point was that I have been asked repeatedly in fact, that if it's possible under any circumstances to bring in someone other than the

supported travelers to (unintelligible) for part time of the session, for example, and who would have to accept that if it's the case. If we can get the CSG to agree and we bring someone in for - on the old funding for just one day, for example, would that be possible. But that's something we'd have to leave to Benedetta and I guess Robin, whoever, to decide.

Benedetta Rossi: Yes, thank you, Tapani. So for - regarding the travel date, of course, we've taken into account obviously the flights so everybody will be able to stay until the 17th and then based on my understanding from some of the discussions on the planning call, this seems like some people would like to leave on the 16th evening. But if you - when you receive your welcome email from the Travel team it'll say you're approved until the 17th.

However, if there is a flight and you'd like to take it on the 16th then you're more than welcome to. We're not going to force you to stay in Iceland until the following day. But you may stay until - and you will be funded until the 17th.

And about the additional people, that's not actually staff's role to decide that. I mean, based on previous years, the parameters of the meeting set forth by the community planning team was to have seven delegates per group just to have a balanced number of face to face attendees from each group just to keep it balanced. But if you have additional members you can bring it to the - because we're not allowed to just say yes, sure, you can bring an additional person; that's for the other community planning team members, the other leaders to discuss. So you're more than welcome to ask then.

In previous years that hasn't really happened. I know I think it was two years ago I think it was when it was in Washington DC there were some local members who wanted to join. And I believe that the planning team then decided that to make it balanced, because there were quite a few people who were local and wanted to sit on, I think they had - they made the agreement that some of the official delegates would step out of the room when the other

people came in to make sure the discussions remained balanced or the people who came in needed to be silent observers.

That's really up to the planning team to discuss. Yes, I would recommend just either on the mailing list or on the next planning call you could bring that up to see what the others think.

Tapani Tarvainen: Okay. Thank you, Benedetta, that answers my question certainly.

Farzaneh Badii: Okay. Great, thank you, Benedetta. Okay great. So, yes, that is one issue that's happening. We might have to discuss with CSG, this is what I gathered from what Benedetta said that we might have to talk to them and see if we can bring one more delegate.

And then - and there was (unintelligible) I'm sorry. Okay. What is important is that for James Gannon is the - so he's the liaison for GNSO. And I - and he would like to update us, the Non Contracted Party on the CSC. And but if we want to fund him to go there we have to talk to CSG as well and see if we can actually - if we can collaborate together to bring James there. That's one thing to consider.

I don't know if we want to go that way or but we can discuss that on the mailing list later on. And if you agree, I can contact - okay so now (unintelligible) okay so let me tell you about this Thursday morning 16th EC meeting because I did not confirm with you, I just put a placeholder requesting kindly from Benedetta that we have this place reserved for the EC to have a meeting on the 16th in the morning.

Because we - this is the first time that all of us get together and I think it would be great, we can make a lot of decisions and we can, you know, get to know each other and discuss things. So it would be good - okay it would be good that we could do that.

What's happened - sorry, I - I don't know if this comment is addressed to what I'm saying. But okay so I hope that every one of you accepts that we have this EC meeting the morning of Thursday 16th February in Iceland in the city that I cannot pronounce the name, I'm sorry about the ignorance.

But okay so I don't see an objection to this so we can do that. And if okay so I can see that also - Tapani said was interested and he will be self-funded.

So I guess, Tapani, what we need to do is to discuss with CSG that we want to have one or more - two more delegates and for James Gannon we could say that, well, he's the liaison for whole GNSO so he's not really coming on behalf of NCUC solely.

So what we - we can discuss this on the mailing list and also with you, Tapani, and then we can see what sort of action we can take. (Unintelligible) and I'm going to cover on intercessional and then we can go to the budget requests since I think it's late Europe and other places.

So okay Renata, NPOC supporting James, Tapani. I'm not sure if they will do that or if that would be possible. Okay. Okay and that's fine. Well NCUC but he's kind of GNSO liaison. And I don't know NPOC is going to feel about that to fund James. So and also I have to talk to James because I don't know if he will be even available for the whole event.

Okay. Yes, I don't know if that would be possible on 13th. I think we have really - we really start the meeting on 14 February and I don't know if that would be possible. So that's why - so we need to discuss - we need to discuss this with you, NPOC, and the CSG leaders and I can - we can initiate that.

And, Benedetta, is it possible to have a meeting on the 13th? I don't think so but if you can confirm that we can that would be great.

Benedetta Rossi: Sorry, I was just typing that in the chat. Unfortunately, no, those are the only available dates that we managed to find so the 13th is our - is the setup day for the intercessional meeting. And usually - obviously we always need a day to set up the - at the venue. And these were the only dates available. So we managed to find room spaces for the half-day on the 16th but not before.

Farzaneh Badii: Okay. Okay thank you, Benedetta. So it's okay if - okay. Okay. So, yes, it's not possible to have the meeting before Valentine's night, no. So if you cannot make it that's totally fine. I think there will be remote participation. I actually wanted to confirm this with Rob that there will be remote participation and you can - last year there was remote participation and you can participate remotely if you are not there.

Okay great. That's great. Okay so now we turn - oh, Renata, sorry, Renata, your hand has been up for a long time and I just got distracted. Please, Renata, take the mic.

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: Can you listen to me? Now, okay, yes. Renata here. Yes, so just quickly, sorry for the delay, but just I was also today in a lot of comments, a lot of us around the announcement, the upcoming announcement of ICANN 61 in Puerto Rico. I already had (unintelligible) with an idea of an outreach event in Venezuela. Venezuela is going through a lot of troubles. I used to do ICANN hubs there and then when the political problems began he had a problem continuing with the ICANN hub.

But I do believe it's an important area for ICANN now. And as well, I think we'd have to see what sort of formats these events would take. There has been a lot of movement around LAC since the cancellation of the LAC meetings. And now the possibility that they could be come back this changes the whole situation also with regards to fellowship and participation. We used to have compensation on sort of a compensation on LAC participation with fellows living in India they were like I think three or four fellows from Latin America.



And well during IGF there was also a huge number of new members in NCUC is getting a lot of LAC participation. And also new movements, again, new meetings being announced, LAC IGF is looking for a home probably in the Caribbean or North America.

And I'm also saying that because I don't know if you know this but they (unintelligible) was the winner of the award by LACNIC so there's a lot of - and he's very active in that (unintelligible) so there's a lot of movements towards engaging in ICANN and Latin America. So I thought I should bring this up as we are about to talk in (unintelligible) intercessional and thinking about outreach for the year. Thanks.

Farzaneh Badii: Okay great. Thank you very much, Renata. Just to be clear, of course I actually wanted to talk about whether - what sort of strategy we want to have for outreach in intercessional, whether we want to do it or not. But this will be a very brief and local-oriented outreach so if we want to have an outreach during intercessional that would be - that would be like oriented around like the locals in Iceland.

Now I think - I'm sorry, I did not add what you told us, which is like about outreach strategy. I am sure that if you remind me we can discuss that during AOB, which is very important, the outreach strategy if we get the time. If we do not then we can - then we can do this on the mailing list, I will make sure that we can actually discuss this.

So for the intercessional outreach, members might have some idea, or delegates might have some idea. Do you think it makes sense to do outreach in Iceland? Do you have any resources? Do you know anyone - by resources, I mean, that lives there, or that we can - also once I did a meet-up in Helsinki and actually people (unintelligible) outreach but it was so - it was kind of so like two hours before the meeting that they couldn't show up.

Okay so if you have - if you have, Tapani, if you have the - if you know anyone or in Iceland or anyone as a network for NCUC outreach let us know. Maybe we can just have a very brief small like dinner or a lunch or something like that with the locals there.

Okay so that's about it. Oh, Tapani would like to speak. Yes, okay that's wonderful, great.

Tapani Tarvainen: Yes, I was going to suggest that we do something unprecedented and set up a common outreach program with NPOC, notably with (unintelligible) NCUC actually traveling to Reykjavik and NPOC tickets because his organization is in both NPOC and NCUC. And he's a pirate party activist and has connections with ICANN pirate party. So plan is to set up some kind of event with them.

And I think this would be a good opportunity to do it and together with NPOC instead of (unintelligible) them. So join them in this particular case at least. We have a member who's in both constituencies and has got contacts in Iceland. Sounds like the perfect opportunity to me. Of course I can try to do it as an NCSG event if you like but just to do altogether. Just a thought. Otherwise you might want to set up (unintelligible) even with the pirates in Iceland who may even be the ruling government party at that point which is still uncertain but remains to be seen. Just a thought.

Farzaneh Badii: All right. Okay, great. Well (unintelligible) Executive Committee, yes, great. Thanks for that suggestion. We have to think if we want to have our own special NCUC outreach or if we want to do it in collaboration with NPOC and also if NPOC wants to collaborate with us to do the outreach like jointly.

As you know, the distinction between NPOC and NCUC (unintelligible) a lot of new members and sometimes if you do the event together then that might be even more confusing. But I will put that on the table for the executive

coordinators to consider - to consider and see if it gets approved. Thank you, Tapani.

So saying that, move to the Agenda Item 2 which, well we covered Agenda Item 3 and 1 - sorry, oh, I'm sorry, I numbered this really (unintelligible) oh I'm doing really well for the first meeting aren't I?

Okay so we are going to talk about the financial year '18 budget special budget requests. So this is - and Benedetta can correct me if I got something wrong. And also can add details. So the additional request is the special budget request is different communities, for example, by NCUC, to ICANN to allocate money to some kind of activity.

For example, so for example we have the - last year we did a couple of final budget requests like for example we asked for interpretation, which got rejected. We also asked for IGF travel, which we used this year for funding the members to go to IGF. That was approved.

What we have to do is to work on financial like these special requests and see which one will get accepted by ICANN. But what we make sure that the possibility of getting it approved is high. So now, we have to brainstorm (unintelligible) members to come up with ideas. We tried this last year but we did not receive many ideas, maybe this year we can change our approach and see how we can get...

((Crosstalk))

Farzaneh Badii: ...ideas. But, Benedetta, would you like to give us some pointers about how this special request work and how we can go about it?

Benedetta Rossi: Sure. I mean, so did you receive the email, Farzaneh, about the opening of the process? I just want to make sure that you are looped in since I don't

think you received the previous communication. The process actually started...

((Crosstalk))

Benedetta Rossi: ...today so it was - great. There was the launch of the special budget request process kicked off today. So you can now officially begin submitting your application, whenever you're ready. But the timeline is, as of today until the 30th of January. And on the email that you received, Farzaneh, that was the template to use and it explains sort of the process. There's an email address to send it to and then they get uploaded onto the Finance wiki space, so all of the - all the requests are actually published on the wiki space.

So it's sort of - in terms of a background on this process, it came out basically out of recognition and the budget process, the budget cycle, the official budget, let's call it, at ICANN is fairly rigid so the staff created the sort of - we call internally a venting mechanism or an opportunity for the community to let us know what additional support the community requires that isn't currently covered by the standard budget.

So it's just basically any submission for new opportunities, new programs that you wish you could have. Like an example would be, for example, the CROP pilot program stemmed out of the special budget requests so just the need for a lot of communities requested further outreach opportunities so we developed the CROP program. Sorry, the Non Contracted Party House intercessional stemmed from the special budget requests. You no longer need to submit a request for the intercessional; that's now become core.

So that's something that often happens with special budget requests, as we see that, well as senior staff sees that schemes that come out of the special budget request process work and communities keep requesting them and then they tend to be shifted out of the special budget request process onto the core budget of ICANN.

The only thing that is not - no longer accepted through the special budget requests, just so you're aware, the increasing travel allocations for ICANN public meetings. That needs to be done - I don't know if that's something that is interesting to the NCUC but I know that other communities are very interested in this. If you think that your community requires further slots that should be done via the public comment process of the regular budget. So that's the only thing that you can't request through the special budget request process.

So, yes, so what you need to do is just use the template and submit the request. And obviously if you need any help drafting the request or we'd like to have further discussions which once you have a better idea of what the NCUC needs then I'd be more than happy to help you with that as well as Rob Hogarth. So, yes, so you can rely on us to help you with that.

So once you - once the submission period is over ICANN staff will review all of the applications as part of the process. Staff is required to answer every single request whether it's granted or not granted. Obviously there has to be a detailed explanation as to why they are accepted and how. In terms of staffing, if there's a budget allocated it has to be published. So you can see exactly what is being approved as part of the special budget request process.

So staff will begin reviewing that from the 31st of January. And then there will be SO/AC consultations in Copenhagen. So if the NCUC requests it you may ask to meet with staff about this with the Finance team and others depending on who, though, because each special budget request, once they're submitted, staff goes through each request and they assign a staff person responsible for that specific request.

So if, for example, if you're asking for translations, somebody from the Translation Service team at ICANN will be assigned to that specific request as an internal point of contact. So that's very important. So then if - the

people who then discuss these requests have a point contact even within ICANN to manage the request.

And then you'll see the final recommendations by staff will be published by the 14th of April and then reviewed by the Board I think it's at the May Board meeting. That's when - because the special budget requests actually get approved before the final budget so it's a completely separate - there's like a completely separate allocation for the special budget request process compared to the full budget of ICANN.

Do you have any specific questions other than what I just mentioned?

Farzaneh Badii: Okay, thank you very much, Benedetta. So the thing is that for example, Tapani, in the chat says that (unintelligible) Website also have like debates or policy events. The problem is that I think last year Rafik worked with us and I think with you and Rob for the proposal on policy conference, you know, kind of a policy conference for NCUC.

I would like to call it a policy retreat so that we can have as many members as possible get together, brainstorm, even get the newer ones as well. So instead of an outreach event we have in-reach event. But the thing is that was rejected. So we need to find out the reason why they got rejected really. So that's one of the tasks that I have assigned to myself. And I'm going to tell the Executive Committee that why it got rejected.

But do you think we can improve our request this year so that it will be highly possible? I'm not saying that you should promise, nothing like that. But do you think we can improve them so that the possibility would be higher to get accepted?

Benedetta Rossi: That's a very good question, because, I mean, all of the requests basically are evaluated based on (unintelligible) resources. I mean, there were no requests - I'm trying to think of other requests that the NCUC filed last year.

There was nothing that was badly formatted or those weren't the reasons why they weren't approved based on my recollection. I mean, there - a lot of them were just to do with the fact that there were - like I'm trying to remember what the requests were. I'm sorry, I don't have them in front of me right now.

But there were some programs that were already taking place within ICANN. And I remember that Rafik was trying to get more customized information oriented just for the NCUC. So for last year we just didn't - I guess ICANN just didn't have the resources to create the additional ones. And I'm trying to think, okay, well we have these programs currently available, can you try using them. And then for FY'18 we can see what can be done.

It really depends on the allocation especially for the special budget request process, it's not like the normal budget. There's basically a bucket, so let's say I think it was, if I'm not mistaken, it was between \$600,000 US and \$700,000 US, I believe. So that's the bucket for all of the special budget requests, no matter how many are received, that's the maximum that can be allocated. So staff needs to take that into account. And then obviously specific resources, depending on what the requests entail. But we can obviously help you - we can collaborate with you while you're drafting them up and help you.

Farzaneh Badii: Yes, that's good. Thank you very much, Benedetta. Just one more note about this and then we can go to the rest of the agenda items and Tapani and Benedetta can leave us if they want. And of course they are welcome to stay. So we - Benedetta and Rob they are - I don't know, (unintelligible) you have with NCUC, like you are the coordinators with us at ICANN or...

Benedetta Rossi: No, I mean, both Rob and I work for the Policy Development Support team.

((Crosstalk))

Benedetta Rossi: Can you hear me? Yes, so we work for the Policy Development Support team and specifically or it's like a sub team within the Policy team is the Community Engagement team. So that's why we often end up engaging with the various constituency because we're here to engage with you from a policy standpoint. We collaborate a lot with you because we've - we're managing the secretariat pilot program so that's - Maryam is your dedicated secretariat support staff person, or she's the contractor within this pilot program.

At the moment, unfortunately, she's on unexpected family leave. But generally she's there to provide you with administrative services. And because of the secretariat pilot program, we actually started engaging with the various chairs of the constituencies much more - a lot also to monitor the rollout of the pilot program but also to just see what - how things are going, what more support you need, what questions you have.

So we developed actually a really good relationship with Rafik last year because we were seeking a bit of an assessment basically since we're testing this pilot program function, with Maryam's support to the NCSG, NCUC and NPOC. So we - as part of the pilot program we asked the chairs and any members of the ExComm as appointed by the chair to give us feedback on how the program was going, what additional services you might need, if you felt that the - that this function was helping you, if you needed more.

And then through those discussions, Rafik agreed to have monthly calls with Rob and me because of the pilot program but then we ended up discussing a lot of other things like special budget requests, the NCUC charter, a lot of items that basically our team just works on on a regular basis. So it's just a - it was kind of an excuse to talk.

And then we just developed a really good relationship so we're hoping that we'll continue with you, now that you're the new chair and the Executive Committee it would be great to continue to liaise with you on an ongoing



basis. So we support items like the intercessional, we can help you with the special budget requests and basically anything that is related to policy.

Farzaneh Badii: Okay that's great to know. So as Benedetta mentioned that they had monthly call with Rafik. I would like to know if the Executive Committee members would like to - would like to attend these calls (unintelligible) and have these calls because I think that we will get a lot of information and we will understand what this - where the resources are and we can.

So if the Executive Committee members would like to join these calls that will happen monthly, they are welcome to. But I'm going to give you updates if I have these meetings with Benedetta and Rob. And but you can join the call as well. And I really feel that it's better that one more person really be on the call in case I get run over by a bus so that they can give you the information. So it would be good if someone could volunteer now to join these calls with me.

Okay so okay so Anna and (unintelligible), both of you can just come - attend. Benedetta, it's okay if Executive Committee members just attend the meeting?

Benedetta Rossi: Of course, yes.

Farzaneh Badii: Is it? Yes, okay. Okay wonderful. Okay great. So okay that's about it. Thank you very much. And now we will go to our agenda item about the response to the supporting organization and advisory committee's accountability questionnaire.

What we would like - Tapani, are you staying with us? If not I would say good-bye but you are welcome, Benedetta and Tapani are both welcome to stay. I'm going to go through the agenda.

So this questionnaire is a part of this work - is working on the accountability of stakeholder groups. And in order to - they are tasked with several things. One of the tasks is to come up with a work plan to enhance the accountability of stakeholder groups within ICANN and constituencies. And I'm a part of - and I'm the core rapporteur for that group. And that's why I know a little bit more why they are sending us these questions.

Now what we have is this questionnaire that asks us whether, for example, we have an appeal mechanism, or - and/or for example how we have like the eligibility of the members, how we decide that, whether we have a process for that or - okay, great, Tapani. So it's a (unintelligible). I have shared this with you in the Google doc. And I have - Rafik (unintelligible) have commented on it. Oh, actually, Tatiana shared the Google doc with us.

So what we need to do is to go through the bylaws of NCUC and see what we can answer (unintelligible) bylaws. And also because we have these new bylaws that have - they have not been - they have not gone through the process yet, but they will. And we are in the process of getting it approved by ICANN, which I have to actually follow that up with ICANN later.

So we have to go through the old bylaws and new but not approved bylaws and see how we can answer these questions. Yes, there is an unwritten one too. That is true, Renata.

And we can also see what sort of unwritten stuff - procedures we have as customary in NCUC that enhances our accountability. The questions are really important to answer them and be as complete as we can because we have a responsibility to be accountable to our members and it's good to show that we have processes to hold us accountable.

So what I need you to do is to go to - through this Google doc in your weekend. It's a very nice weekend activity for you. And you should - and see how much information you can find. Now I know that some of you might not

be as familiar with the veterans and the - as much as others that like worked on NCUC for 10 years, but see what you can add.

And then what we do with that is on Monday or Tuesday we are going to send these questions and answers to the members and we are going to tell them that these are the questions and answers that we have done, give them a two-day deadline to just look over it and add it and add stuff to it. And then we are going to submit it to the co-rapporteurs.

If - so if anyone - if anyone has any comments on this or if you agree with this process, that we work on it first then put - send it for like two days and then send it off to the - we might not have time to wait for the members to comment on it more than two days because, you know, we are already past the deadline.

So I suggest like a very quick deadline to just go through it and see if (unintelligible) and then send it to the SO/AC. What do you think? Any ideas? I'm not sure if that's - I'm sorry, I'm calling in with my phone. And that's why - I can't go to this link. But let me know - okay.

Tatiana Tropina: Farzaneh...

((Crosstalk))

Tatiana Tropina: I did have some problems when I started working on this document. I would really like to see the final version of the bylaws (unintelligible). Can you send it to the Executive Committee? Because I have several links and I don't know which one is actually - actually stands for the bylaw. I assume one we voted for, but just to be sure. Can you just send it around so we are all on the same page? Thanks.

Farzaneh Badii: Yes, yes for sure. Sorry about that. They actually on our Website as well but I'm going to just send you the final version that members voted for. So and I

have seen - that's, I think the process is okay so we just draft it and then go to the members for two days and just submit it to the WS 2. By the way, we are not obliged to do this, but I do think that it's a good practice for us to do it.

Okay great. So we will do it. Yes, Tatiana, I notice it's okay. Okay so now we can go to the other - and Rafik kindly sent me an email and told me if I want to share with you. He'd made some comments, I'm sorry, I'm just remembering this. He made some comments on our travel and all that. So let me just pull this up and tell you what he exactly said.

Okay so he made some comments on - actually he made comments on travel support and so let's start with this agenda - oh actually he made a comment on questionnaire, he said that it is - (unintelligible) that he supported that we do the draft the questionnaires. And then he also said that for the intercessional it might not be a policy session, the intercessional. It might be just the procedural thing for an SO. And sometimes for internal discussion and planning. We have had this discussion several times.

Maybe we should be kind of like more strategic and see what sort of discussions we want to leave. However, as I told you, Greg Shatan recommended that - suggested on the list in the previous meeting - yesterday's meeting - that we should also have a policy discussion. So that's up to us. We don't know to decide whether we want to go with this way or not.

I'm not seeing your chat if you're telling me something. Okay, okay so that was - Rafik says actually on the mailing list and the Executive Committee maybe on this whether - how we should do it and how we should approach this intercessional. We also talked to Tapani and (Matt) when - in another meeting - in another meeting that I'm going to arrange soon. And you are also welcome to attend these intercessional that I told Benedetta to just add you to the mailing list of intercessional. It is very, very interesting mailing list. You are going to enjoy.

Okay so Rafik, yes, so Rafik - so we have to decide on whether we want to talk policy or not, yes, because in the past this - my impression is that these sessions have not been about policy. And it can get - it might get very controversial if we talk about policy. It would be nice to know what sort of like convergence we have with the CSG as the Non Contracted Party House in our interests. But, yes, I'm sorry, Renata, I don't think I can - I - so but what we do is that we have to decide if we want to talk about policy and what's the best.

Now some of us are new to this policy making and we might not want to engage with the kind of in depth policy discussions. But this is something that we have to decide and we should see what sort of strategy we can - we should have.

So okay where was I? Okay and then Rafik also said about travel support. The travel support, I'm going to open this discussion for Copenhagen. So what we have is the - for each ICANN meeting we can support members up to \$4000. We don't have to spend all of it if we don't receive applications that we think they don't qualify. But what we do is that we just issue a call and tell people to apply.

Now there has to be criteria for selecting the candidates. And we do have a travel policy if you go on our Website. What we have faced in the past is that we need to have a travel policy that kind of helps (unintelligible) and the NCUC members to develop and the members to be incentivized to work on issues that - matters for NCUC.

I say that should be the objective of travel support. And we also have it in our travel policy that they - that the people that get allocated the travel funding they should be engaged with working groups and, you know, drafting public comments and all that.

So then what you need to - what we need to consider is there are also many members that want to get engaged but they should be incentivized as well. So my idea for the travel support in Copenhagen is that we have some kind of like a veteran/newbie thing.

And require the people who are new to, within these three months, to get engaged with the - with NCUC in whatever way. And there will be a guide for them either from the Executive Committee or the NCUC that were experienced to guide them to what to do, what to get involved with and talk to them. So it will be like a mentorship and mentee program.

For the mentors we can also consider allocating travel support. So what do you think about this? And do you think this is something that we should do? So we will have - we will receive the applications and we tell them that you will pick one experienced person and one person who's not very experienced but want to get engaged.

The experienced person is in charge of guiding the not very experienced person to - how to get involved. And by the end of the - so a month before the meeting, we will assess and see if they have gotten actually engaged with - to a certain degree and take the travel support to them. What do you think?

Oh goodnight, Tapani, I'm sorry. Okay. So let me know. Yes, Tatiana.

Tatiana Tropina: Thank you very much. I'm sorry for my Internet problems. I'm glad that my hand went up. I actually very much agree with Farzi. I think we had some times this problem in the past that we bring people and they just disappear so I think the EC has to be very careful when they're debating on this potential. We have to pick up the person who is going to learn and who is going to get engaged. And I fully support the idea of assigning a mentor and actually getting this person around, getting this person engaged, connecting this newbie to other people.

I mean, I don't think that the mentor can cover everything. We all have our policy priorities, but I think at least this mentor can be a kind of bridge between the newbie and other people whom this newbie can be introduced to. So just a remark. But in terms of issuing such a call I fully support this idea. Thanks.

Farzaneh Badii: Thanks a lot, Tatiana, for supporting the idea. If I can see more support for this I'm just going to email you a draft of call for travel support and then as soon as you approve it I'll send it out. Sometimes there are like time difference and stuff like that so I don't receive many responses quickly by the deadline. So what I'll - what I would like to do is that so when I receive like three likely responses I decide if it's positive I will decide to just send out the call or decide on the issues.

So this is how we will - it's not by consensus but it's kind of like voting. So if you - if there is a decision to be made you need to express your opinion and, you know, if three of you have expressed the opinion positively then I'm just going to decide on the issue and get it down with so that's how we work.

But okay that is true, Tatiana. Okay so we will - and also Renata, I think that it should not be regional, I agree with you. So (unintelligible) the role of the mentor is not only to get a person and, yes. Okay, okay let me think about it. This is a very nice weekend activity in Atlanta, which I will do. And I will draft the email and send it to you. I would like to decide or at least know who the candidates are by mid-January so that you know we give them bit of time for them to see if they are engaged and involved.

Okay now we have the - now we have the - also we need to talk about Executive Committee travel support. Oh yes, (Enis), I'm sorry, I just saw your hand. Please come in. (Enis), I cannot hear you. Okay I cannot hear (Enis). Can...

Terri Agnew: Hello?

((Crosstalk))

Terri Agnew: No, this is Terri. I don't see where your mic is activated. So you'll either need to activate your mic or call into the telephone. To activate your mic on the top toolbar - oh I think she's dropped out of the Adobe Connect. And she's not on the telephone either.

Farzaneh Badii: Okay, all right, that's okay.

((Crosstalk))

Terri Agnew: She has rejoined, I'm sorry.

((Crosstalk))

Terri Agnew: (Enis), to speak on the Adobe Connect...

((Crosstalk))

Farzaneh Badii: (Enis), can you try...

Terri Agnew: ...toolbar select your telephone icon and follow the prompt to activate your mic. Or this is Terri, you can send me a private Adobe Connect chat, I'll send you a chat right now and you can provide me your telephone number and I can have the operator dial out to you.

Farzaneh Badii: Okay. Thank you, Terri. So we'll see if (Enis) can connect. But just to save some time because we don't have more than five minutes, I'm going to read you the - Rafik's idea about the procedure for travel. He says that updating the current travel policy so it can cover all cases including for EC. I think chairs should get the travel slot as she's - or he's expected to do several



tasks at the meeting including chairing and liaising with other groups. We can still enact that for the vice chair role as well. So this is what Rafik suggests.

Okay so, Tatiana, would you like to comment?

Tatiana Tropina: Thanks, Farzaneh. Actually I had some other thoughts, but first commenting on what Rafik said. Yes, I totally agree that the chair shall be present at the meetings. I know you gave away your travel slot but I think that if you will have any issues with finding we actually have to use NCUC funds to fund you at least partially. But this is my personal opinion, I mean, I don't know what kind of funding you have now but if you don't have any I think that we have to discuss this within the Executive Committee.

Then for the future, my thoughts were just because we now have distributed already the slots for the first meeting in the year. I think for the second and for the third it might be easier because the priority would be given to those who have not received the travel slot, right? And I also thought that in case if this is not sorted then probably a person who is from the same region might get priority because of the outreach, because of the local connections and so on and then of course the involvement in different processes.

And I think that these three threshold we could do perfectly fine for the second and the third meeting. But this is just a suggestion. Thanks.

Farzaneh Badii: Yes, Tatiana, these are very good suggestions. I will take note of them. I also think that if a committee member is not active or like does not respond to emails or does not take part in decision making for a number of times I think that might actually affect their chances to get the travel support even if on a rotating basis.

So of course we need to talk to such members and, you know, if they do not participate we need to talk to them first, but I would say that they are not just entitled to it because they are Executive Committee member.

So what I'm going to do is based on your suggestion - I think (unintelligible) was dropped out - okay. So based on your - based on Tatiana's suggestion and also Renata that it - oh you don't know about the region. Okay. So that is true. This is a good point. Sometimes if there is in the region they can also but also if you consider it a continent of Africa sometimes it is (unintelligible) outside Africa than being in Africa. I think (Enis) can tell us about that. Oh gosh, (Enis) is also gone.

All right well thank you very much. Terri, is it possible to take one - five more - five minutes additional so that I can talk about AOB?

Terri Agnew: Yes, Farzi, not a problem at all. Please continue.

Farzaneh Badii: Okay that's great. Okay, so okay Renata said that we need to - we need to have an outreach strategy and that's true. We have kind of like outreach strategy I mean, we have outreach activities, but we don't really have a comprehensive outreach strategy. So what we should do is to come up with a document like it's something really lightweight outreach strategy. For example if we want to have webinars, what do we do, who should we go to if we're going to have webinars.

Or if we want a remote hub for an ICANN meeting somewhere in Lat as Renata suggested or if there are ideas for outreach, where should the members go to - what sort of (unintelligible) points we should have. So what - so we need to come up with this I would say with a deadline of January 15. Volunteer so that you write up the outreach strategy. I will come up with ideas and I think other members will as well. And then I go ahead and see what we can implement or not.

And I wanted to say one more thing, we do sometimes we assign travel support for members for meetings outside of ICANN because they can do outreach. And this is from NCUC budget, this is not from ICANN budget. We

(unintelligible) be very transparent on who gets such funding and also, yes, and also we have to come up with criteria how they can submit their requests and be transparent to members that there is such opportunity.

But we should have very strict criteria. We cannot just send anyone to anything. So I don't know if - what you think of project form, Renata, related to outreach. Yes, that would be good. Okay, Renata, please take the mic but we don't have - we have three minutes we have to wrap up so please take the mic.

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: Yes, I was thinking about designing a Google form just like the Google form for new members with such criteria.

Farzaneh Badii: Okay, I think I lost you there. I think - I can't hear you. It might be me. Okay, okay, great. Thank you very much for attending this meeting. We are - I'm going to send you a couple of action items which we have to - and I'm going to prioritize them. The one is the questionnaire for the SO/AC accountability that should be done. The other one is the CROP that we should decide on quickly. Also we need to decide on the policy committee members, decide and see who has that slide.

Tatiana is back and (Enis) is back. If you have any other thing to say you have two minutes I think? Anything else? Okay, okay thank you very much. This was a great meeting. We got a lot done. And I look forward to seeing you in intercessional, but please, if you get the time, participate in the intercessional planning. We will understand it better and we can contribute more and be more strategic than just going to a meeting and not knowing what to do.

Okay, okay, okay everyone. Renata, I will take that up with you offline. I don't know if we have a tally or not. Have a great evening or morning and see you next time. Bye. Thank you, Terri, a lot for arranging this.

Terri Agnew: Most welcome, Farzi. And once again, the meeting has been adjourned. Thank you everyone for joining. (Joe), the operator, if you could please disconnect all recording lines and to everyone else, please remember to disconnect all remaining lines and have a wonderful rest of your day and beginning of your weekend.

END