

**ICANN**

**Moderator: Terri Agnew  
February 16, 2018  
09:00:00 am CT**

Coordinator: The recordings have now started.

Michelle DeSymter: Great, well thank you so much, (Simon). Well, I'd like to welcome everyone and good morning, good afternoon, and good evening and welcome to the NCUCEC Meeting on the 16th of February 2018. On the call today, we have Ines Hfaiedh, Renata Aquino Ribeiro, Bruna Santos, and Michael Karanicolas. And from staff, we have myself, Michelle DeSymter.

I would like to turn the meeting over to Renata Aquino Ribeiro and Ines Hfaiedh.

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: Hi everyone, this is Renata. Welcome and I see (unintelligible) already here on our agenda. Thank you for - and we have a document - is that the UC document, (Mina), that you shared? Yes? Well, I guess we should go through points in the agenda.

So there are some urgent things that we need to discuss and we (unintelligible). So first of all, the updates on travel reallocations. As you may have seen on (unintelligible) just sent to the UC and the (unintelligible), I

had previously noted that I had last minute circumstance and I won't be able to be in ICANN 61. So my GNSO travel block was reallocated to our NCC mentees or fundraised money.

And the other travel that I had to cancel in March was the cooperative visit. That travel plane ticket could not be reallocated, but the hotel can be reallocated. But we have a very tight deadline until Monday. We have to send the name to everyone involved in those reallocation process by Tuesday. So we have less than 24 hours for deliberation and (unintelligible) very little time as well. Again, this was extraordinary circumstance. So that's why we are doing it this way.

And on the ICANN 61 front, the local - I also have some updates to share with you, but in the meantime, I would to know if you have any comments on these updates in travel reallocations process? Michael, go ahead.

Michael Karanicolas: Yes, hi, just a quick question. So just to clarify, so they've presumably - so they've booked the flight already, they won't cancel it and book another one. They said that's out of the question?

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: Yes, it was a non-refundable flight. I had to - so ICANN cannot refund the flight. Did I answer...

Michael Karanicolas: Yes, and I guess - so for the hotel, yes. So, yes, that's it then. Okay, that's a shame. Sure.

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: Yes, we did try any other way, but again, this is something that we can probably address better in our next operations how to do (unintelligible). But anyway, so we will have a session that's with us. SUC has a session

approved which can stand alone, can be a one time in the plot of the program, or it can be a merger.

If it's a merger, then there has to be a negotiation. So we don't know if our theme will prevail as the theme of the session or the other theme or a mix of themes. Whatever happens in N2C, we will have a participation at least. So there are many N2C members who are academics or activists who want to go to (unintelligible) or pay out of their grant, their own pocket. So there will be people coming with all types of arrangements.

So I do hope we get at least one candidate to fill in the slot with an N2C member. And that will help us ascertain this (unintelligible) traditional now over three years N2C (unintelligible). We'll have to - we can hear you.

Bruna Santos: Oh, hi, (unintelligible). Just a quick question. Give that that we allow - not just allow, but (unintelligible) the money to (unintelligible). Can't be, like, do a fellowship maybe this year, because this cost ended up being, like, a cost (unintelligible), because traveling to Geneva, like, one month ahead (unintelligible) or one month ahead would be definitely expensive, like, for anybody. So, maybe, just a suggestion, maybe we can apply some of the NCUCEC funds to the (unintelligible).

Woman 1: Thank you, Brunna. So I'll respond to that. Well, (unintelligible) has a travel policy, that members who want to go to events can send in requests at any time if we want. And if the request - so we have that (unintelligible) which includes - we offer for this. So people can send in (unintelligible) et cetera, but also asking for money.

If the requests are up to \$500, it is an easier approval process. It says that in the travel policy, because the UC normally will grant an amount below \$500.

So members can ask for that, but doing a full call for ticket price now, I would not recommend, because Geneva is an expensive place and we may have easily gone over \$2000 for a lot of regions.

But, yes, if a member applies and asks for additional funding this can be done. But, again, this is something that is available all year long, not just for visits. So we must think really carefully. We have had members already who can go even by train to Geneva. So we'll have to figure out, I guess, from the applicants we get.

You can also add that suggestion to the list. Remind people that we have a travel policy and that if they are interested in a region, it (unintelligible) flight. Sorry, then again - but the other point (unintelligible), our NCUC mentee who is not going to Puerto Rico. Our NCUC is not going to Puerto Rico. That was an allocation from NCUC bank account from NCUC, fundraised money, and mentee is engaged.

So my guidance to mentee was remain engaged and apply for Panama. The criteria for NCUC mentees is quite straight-forward. If the mentee is engaged and maintains engagement, there's quite a bit can - so that was my guidance. Of course, UC can make that and automatic approval, but I wouldn't recommend that, because we don't have that anywhere in the bylaws or procedures.

So let's give this guidance to all cases we have. We have given this guidance before. But, yes, if you have any comments on NCUC mentee reallocations, please do so now and I hope I have (unintelligible) points, Bruna, Michael?

Michael Karanicolas: Yes, just on the WSIS reallocation, I guess - I think I'm a little - I think it might be good to be a little bit sensitive to the optics on this just because

there's a debate going right now about whether CROP, as a program, should be scrapped. And so, you know, now is really the time to try to do everything we can to demonstrate our commitment to the program if we want to keep it in.

And, yes, I mean, obviously, you know, I don't think - obviously, we don't blame you for this, I mean, you know, hell, these few things come up and they can't be avoided. But in this circumstance, it would be good to try to do whatever we can - but it does look bad to be allocating this and having the ticket and then not utilizing it. So I think in that kind of circumstance, it might be good for the NCUC to demonstrate our own commitment by trying to allocate some of our own funding to bring somebody there.

As I understand it, the hotel is covered, local per diem that you would have gotten is presumably already covered as well. And the only thing that's not covered is travel. So maybe we can reach out to the list and in the discussion of somebody replacing you at WSIS, we can indicate specifically that NCUC has a travel budget that we could potential dip into and note that it's limited at \$500 USD which would probably be enough to get somebody there from most parts of Europe.

So if we indicate that then that might be helpful. I mean, you say that Geneva's an expensive city, but at the same time, the per diem is there to cover that. So I think it really would - just to try to do what we can to negate the optics of not utilizing the spot that we applied for and I think that it would be good for NCUC to step up in that regard.

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: Thank you, Michael. I'll just move over to Louise.

Louise Marie Hurel: Hi, can y'all hear me? Hello? Okay. And also, I just wanted to really agree with Michael. I think I was in agreement with most of the points that he actually raised. But I was just going to add that I really think - I understand just reinforcing the travel policies. I think that's part of what, like, we have been discussing and trying to do. And I think that's important for us. Just, like, make members aware.

However, I would also suggest that we try to, as Michael was saying, to reinforce the importance of CROP and how we are, like, even though - in this very unique situation - not common situation, we are actually doing our best to fight for our funds and to manage our funds in the best way and to keep representativeness and to keep - and to continue even despite that. To continue to make -given the opportunity to go there.

So you were talking about the outreach forms? And I understand that in normal circumstances the outreach form would be a fantastic way and it is a very nice way that we should promote more and make people more aware that it exists and that NCUC can support a person going to a certain place in various ways that does not only - is not only restricted to funding. But I really think that making a person go over this particular outreach form to request for additional funding through a process that is already open, I don't know if I understood very well what you were talking - (unintelligible).

But that was my perception, that this would be another way of doing that. But given the time and given that this is a very atypical thing related to the (unintelligible). So I really think that the outreach form in this regard would stall even more people from having the opportunity of (unintelligible), for example, or, you know. So I just wanted to add that to what Michael was saying.

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: I would just (unintelligible) and we need to move swiftly here.

Yes, you can remind the list that NCUC has a travel policy that includes ICANN related meetings. But (unintelligible) other meetings and ICANN meetings themselves. However, the travel policy has some rules. Actually, it's 5000 now on the travel policy.

And it also asked to get sent two weeks before the meeting. But, I would just note something that - like, I can do that so that doesn't (unintelligible) do that. Something like if you really want to go to WSIS, don't have the flight and you leave here, you can also try to apply for some extra funding via NCUC travel policies. But, yes, but it's a slippery slope, because there are rules there, including time and so on, that will complicate it.

However, yes, we can certainly send that reminder. But I wouldn't use the form right now, because we were just working on the form review. So people send via email their applications and this is 24 hours, 48 hours application. So we can't really complicate that that much. Ines?

Ines Hfaiedh: Yes, thank you very much to Renata for all the explanations and clarifications. I just wanted to summarize, because I'm a little bit mindful about the time, because we really need to speak about ICANN 61. But just about the rate allocations.

So if my understanding is right, your slot for ICANN 61 was split between (Olga) and (Feren) and your slot for WSIS, the flight is gone, but the accommodation - you can give the accommodation to someone who applies right now? Is it right?

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: Yes, that's right.

Ines Hfaiedh: Oh, okay. So that's awesome. So just your flight for ICANN 61 and your flight for WSIS were gone, but ICANN will have them in terms of points, right?

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: No, the flights for ICANN 61 - flight and hotel were split, but they were used.

Ines Hfaiedh: Oh, okay, oh, great.

((Crosstalk))

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: Only plane ticket could not be refunded.

Ines Hfaiedh: Oh, okay, that is awesome. Okay, thank you Renata for informing CT. That is all for me for travel reallocation, thank you.

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: Okay, do we have any other comments on that topic? Okay, so I'll just proceed with (unintelligible) of the travel policy for our members. And moving on the next item, SOECD update.

So all chairs are in business which is (unintelligible) and we collaborate on ICANN 61. On ICANN we use schedule building or meeting schedule building throughout the program. We have some report on the program and on ourselves and a find collaboration avenues. So a few activates also are SOECD (unintelligible) activities only.

One of those activities is the previous meetings on the 9th or March. For that previous meeting, the chair can have an extra night at the hotel. When I confirmed for that previous meeting, I did not use ICANN resource right then. Well, I don't - I had not (unintelligible) North American Schools Internet



Governance. I had work I was going to present that was non-related to NCUC, and the SOAC dinner.

So the SOAC dinner, I did not need accommodation I think anyway. But I reassigned the participation on that dinner to someone who does not need accommodation from ICANN, so we would not need to go through the resource allocation which was Bruna who is on the leadership course. I know you are on the leadership course as well, Michael, but because Bruna is a representative of NCUC in the leadership course and had accommodations at the (unintelligible), I assigned her to that.

So that's an update on that. I did not see any other way around since, again, I would like to minimize using ICANN resources for reallocating accommodation right now. And then we have also the ICANN 61 co-operation. So, again, we must play with our other colleagues. So from NACPH meeting, we have had the forest. From SSC, where we are in the (unintelligible). And what was the third one? (Robert Garret). (Robert Garret) is escalating the request to (unintelligible).

So I only got response from (Robert Garret) escalating the request to (unintelligible) committee who will probably talk back to your executive committee when you are - so executive committee to executive committee will talk in ICANN 61, probably.

And, yes, our governance meeting. So on speakers - on our internal and external speaks list, we would like that. We go on working with that document, remember mentees are there to work for you and other stakeholder groups, it will always be a bit of a behind the scenes invite and conversation in terms of the...

Okay, comments?

Bruna Santos: Hi, just wanted to clear everything up. We have both (unintelligible). Actually, we have SCOAC leader's dinner, we have local meetings (unintelligible) and talk and (unintelligible). And also, we have another one with someone (unintelligible). Also we have consistency days and we have e-meetings and we have meetings (unintelligible).

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: Now none of that will be Renata. Now all of it will be EC. So I'll be with you online all the time in the meetings, but you really have to start (unintelligible) we build an agenda for each one of those meetings. So we'll have to build an agenda for the membership meeting, for the EC meeting, for the outreach, the constituents today. And, yes, I really need you to volunteer to lead block - to lead that stuff.

And I do know that some of you have tasks that are already come with your funding allocations and you do have the hard task as group leader. Louise will have her onboarding tasks. Michael as well as his co-chair tasks. So I cannot ask too much of you know that you have those tasks so please study carefully your schedule and whenever you can volunteer, you're most welcome to volunteer for NCUC.

And, yes, so these are the ones - membership affairs, I mixed that up. That may not - for technical reasons, the archives need to be preserved. So the archives of that moment, that groups need to be preserved and so they archive of the old in-reach group we have. And, yes, also the new group would be of a mixed purpose, so we would - we need to study NCUC members and study how they engage. So we're going to have an NCUC membership meeting, that would be best. And there probably a new list to support us in that endeavor, let's put it like that.

But yes, all this we have. The NCUC open, and we have to call (unintelligible). So that's where we are now. If you have any changes on that project, we should discuss it. But I think leaving it for us to discuss anytime. So I'm actually anticipating ICANN (unintelligible).

So item number four, (unintelligible) an agenda and work on that. So that goes to items three, four, five. Comment. Ines?

Ines Hfaiedh: Yes, thank you very much, Renata. I was thinking, can you also go to the document that Bruna shared about the NCUC outreach so that we can be more efficient. Because I'm a little - for example, when I see the NCUC outreach and (unintelligible) NCUC out of civil society roundtable. Invite organizations and representatives.

Currently, I don't really see the speakers or the topics. I think it's time that we share this document with NPOC so that they finalize it. Is it shared with NPOC already?

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: Okay, let's just address quickly that. I'm on Chrome. I'm in hell. I should have print this a long time ago. Sorry about that, but, yes, it's not working. So someone can send a link to these documents as well and I'll kindly ask Michelle to share comments here for us to take a look.

((Crosstalk))

Ines Hfaiedh: I'm clicking the link.

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: Great, thank you, Ines.

Ines Hfaiedh: (Unintelligible).

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: Michelle, if you can manage to put it up on the screen, we would be very grateful, but we can already go on addressing some points.

((Crosstalk))

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: (Joanne) and (Morale), it's been a difficult conversation. So, Michael, I think we would appreciate any help you have in that.

((Crosstalk))

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: Specific help. When asked about internet policy organizations in North America, (Eduardo Diaz) had no idea, but he has a different - lives in a different reality in Puerto Rico. So it would be great to have suggestions there. And then I think everyone can, because, being an organization - so everyone can suggest.

Yes, go on Ines.

((Crosstalk))

Ines Hfaiedh: The NCUC constituency day looks nice. I think it's developed well, we just need some confirmations, but I'm sure those who put their name, they are already kind of confirmed. But just thinking about the outreach and the - yes, the NCUC outreach and NPOC NCUC outreach. And also, I think we have enough large - an NCUC outreach as well.

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: Yes, I'll do this. I'll also try to move quickly. So I'll listen to Bruna and Louise and then address your points, Ines.

Ines Hfaiedh: Yes, sure.

Bruna Santos: So, yes, I was just, like, getting a little confused out the outreaches. We have the (unintelligible) outreach (unintelligible) roundtable. You already shared the agenda with the link and this is the one in which (unintelligible) or am I wrong? My second question would be about the other two. We supposedly have one with At Large and another one with yourself.

The one with us, it's, like, the agenda is, like, pretty much (unintelligible) although I think we are meeting - I mean, I don't know, maybe at the end, maybe some discussions. I still feel it looks a little void, a little empty. Because talking about it (unintelligible) you're not bringing stuff back to the table if you (unintelligible).

But then moving on to the constituency day, the constituency day we already have all the confirmations that we need working (unintelligible) apart from Robin. Robin is the only one who hasn't confirmed with me, but I don't know if she (unintelligible) anymore. Does anybody know if she's (unintelligible)? And yes, this is the point I wanted to make so far.

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: Thank you, Bruna. Louise, would you like to bring in your points.

Louise Marie Hurel: Yes, no, I just wanted to, like, reinforce, because Ines was asking if the document was shared. So the NCUC outreach overall agenda was only - was not, from what I know. But I shared the link to the NPOC NCUC outreach and that was shared on January - late January, the 25th. And the list - the general NCUC list, if I'm not mistaken.

But still I agree with Bruna that it needs to be fine-tuned and I think that's also process of coordinating with Joan and with NPOC more, like, closely. I don't know if you have any updates on this, Bruna as you are up on top on the outreach plans. So, yes, I just think that might be an item, like, just to follow-up on that. Because I remember that was shared, but I don't know if the conversations have continued or if there's any themes.

And I agree with you, Bruna. I think it would be nice to just, like - some bullet points on, like, what we might tackle over here, what do we want to approach, how do we want to expose our positions, what might be interesting to cover just during this block? So, yes, just wanted to add that, thanks.

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: Okay, great. I really like that point. Really like to give it back. But, yes, mostly, what do we have? So let's take a look at this broadly. We have two main days that are open. So we have our outreach day and we have constituency day. Other than that, we have our meetings which are governance meetings. So, to clean up the house, to organize our work, to engage our members in our day-to-day work, so our work meetings.

See, I could (unintelligible) three blocks, outreach, constituency day, and work meetings. So for our outreach day, fellows arrive - fellows will be there that day. Can you guys - can anyone ask for (Elsa's) number on Skype and see if Michelle - could you do the dialogue?

((Crosstalk))

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: Yes, on Elsa on the Skype. She's looking for a dial out. So, Michelle, (unintelligible) the number and if you can do it, that's great. If you can't, we'll see where she is in the world and ask for the number (unintelligible) the call.

And so going on here on the NCUC outreach, the first day, fellows will be in ICANN 61. Next Gen arrives that day, so there may be Next Gen arriving early, later. What I did was - for the first time, actually, what we did - so we have had - we have been having this conversation for a long time now to have an NPOC and an NCUC joint outreach. But also, we have a situation where NPOC has organization members and NCUC has been, for a long time, focused, I would say - not totally focused, but a lot of focus has been on being individual members.

So a way to turn that around would be to have a part of our program to bring in more organizations and to - how could we say? Put in (unintelligible) that are already with us to make them present or something. Because we have had presentations which (unintelligible).

So we decided to do the Civil Society Organizations Roundtable, and this was a proposal that (John) liked and NCUC also liked and will participate doing a short briefing on what is being - what is it like being in NCUC and overarching and umbrella organization for us? And then we have to describe the work about the Civil Society Organizations Roundtable and see who is in ICANNs that belongs to Civil Society Organizations and that could be with us?

Now, I think we need to have some criteria, because otherwise we're going to have too many organizations. Some organizations do Civil Society work, but it's not really Civil Society focused. And in case of organizations that have a lot of local representation, like, for example, ISUK. I've invited ISUK Puerto Rico and I think that's where we should - that's the one we should have.

But we could consider, because we have NCUC members and have done projects with (Issac Giana), for example. So we might consider regional maybe. I have started a fellow's map search I'm going to share with you and a graph on criteria for the presenters.

But anyways, even if someone is not standing like that presenting their organizations, we want them there. We want all the organizations there to participate on this. So would be good spreading the word as much as we can. And we also have some staff helping out with that, ICANN staff. And closer to the meeting, we will (unintelligible) conversation.

Oh, we have twenty minutes, only, so I'm going to be quicker, otherwise we don't have the project time. And then on the rest of the outreach, second block. Second block we have opportunities at NCUC and (unintelligible) QA. so this is a block mainly directed to the ICANN fellows. You will receive and invitation to go and be with us at this outreach. And some Next Gen will be there too.

I wanted this block to be a lot about, also, North America activists and organizations and fellows, because, remember, our all Next Gen will be from the region. But, as next gen will be arriving that day, we may need to be more flexible there. But they love - our fellows love to talk about themselves and they haven't had an opportunity in NCUC outreach before, so I came up with this idea where fellows present themselves, we present NCUC to them - actually, the other way around.

First, we present NCUC to them and the opportunities that NCUC has, they present themselves. And then there's a QA session on how can I help you and why would you - why would I be involved in NCUC? Can NCUC do this?



Can NCUC do that? And we need to be very aware that there will be fellows that will ask for things that you cannot say that we do.

So, for instance, I want to discuss diversity and inclusion from the point of view of access. I need to have more access for understood communities, but I don't want to do any - I don't want anything to do with BNS politics. I just want to talk about community networks. But no, ICANN doesn't do community networks. It's not (unintelligible). So I need to get some discourse ready. But all-in-all, it will be a presentation of NCUC and the fellows.

And, yes, in the afternoon, traditional at large and NCUC outreach with (Tatianna) and (Luigi) planning that, (Donna) and Elsa helping them out. So that is already got its own agenda, it's on the way. So comments on outreach?

Louise Marie Hurel: Hi, Bruna. Or, sorry, Renata, can you hear me?

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: Yes.

Ines Hfaiedh: Okay, I just wanted to add one small comment about the NCUC outreach on (unintelligible). The co-chairs and fellows should be arriving on the 9th or maybe on the 10th. So I don't think that the whole NCUC outreach be around fellow's questions, Q&A, et cetera. I do believe that we need to have that segment, like, half an hour or maybe right between - sorry, from 2:30 to 3 or something.

But we need to put other items on the NCUC outreach, because also, Next Gen, they are coming on the same day. So I don't think we should put all of the NCUC outreach on fellow's questions, thank you.

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: Thanks, Ines. Yes, I thought of a solution to that. We'll address soon.

Bruna Santos: Hi, this is Bruna. Yes, I sort of agree with Ines because I also think that the (unintelligible). Right, Ines? I am not sure. But also maybe just included, like, a little discussion on the topic, I remember the outreach we did on (unintelligible) lot of discussions on GDPR or anything else. Maybe we can even have, like, Ayden doing a short explanation on the NCUC position on the GDPR model (unintelligible) or anyone else (unintelligible) or at least do a briefing on some of the discussions on (NCUC) (unintelligible) during the meeting. We can mention Michael (unintelligible) discussion. We can mention the GDPR. We can mention (unintelligible). Just, like, do a quick introduction on these things.

Also I - for this outreach I think we should come up - I know you're (unintelligible) Renata probably, but maybe do you think it's a good idea if we come up with a short presentation about (NCCC), some topics, or maybe improve the presentation for intercessional?

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: Yes. So let me address these two points (unintelligible). First back up things, we have back up things. So in the end of constituency day, you cut by - have you ever heard the expression, cut by the foot. An expression for journalists. Our foot here in the constituency day, which is member mapping, policy community representatives, regional briefing, and focal point. Maybe we can change some of this and also internet, sorry, internet (unintelligible).

So rights (unintelligible) with Michael (unintelligible). There's a possibility that (Milton) and, oh, I didn't - (Milton) will be for the whole meeting, and (Milton) is keen to help.

So we have back up things that we can move up and we can ask our - some of our veterans are keen to help and we can ask them to do so. But I have left them in purpose of back up things in the end, because we have our other stakeholder groups, participants. Hello Elsa, welcome.

Woman: Sorry about the mess, but the technical issue was just crazy. Hope everyone's fine.

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: Yes, we're just great. So we're just still on - we're talking about ICANN preparations, so we discussed a little the trouble (unintelligible), everything that you may have seen from the list. We are on ICANN preparations; we discussed the outreach block now. And I hope that I have addressed Ines and Bruna's questions.

So what will happen here in outreach is, we can move some of the topics we have on the foot of constituency day. What we cannot do in outreach day, unfortunately, is PDP. Outreach is also a day filled with PDP meetings. So some of our veterans will be in those meetings and they are the lead contact points in those policy working groups.

So our up to date policy, they will have to be very conservative and very to the point. I think during governance, back up (unintelligible), which are in the hands of the EC, will be safer there.

So Bruna and Ines, I hope I have addressed - Bruna, if we can have extra 20 minutes on this call, fine by me, if fine by others. I'll ask Michelle and Michelle you can also inform us, please, via chat.

And going on then to (unintelligible), this is Tatiana and Olivier's traditional space already. So I'm pretty sure it will be rounded up very soon.

On the constituency day, we have two blocks, three blocks. So our three blocks, one of them is policy update. The second one, you could say that it's governance but it's not. It's policy. There will be policy updates there, hopefully with our stakeholder groups, yes.

So we have budget already, and again, the member mapping, it's only in reference to policy updates. So if we have, for instance, Robert Guerra coming to talk about NomCom reviews, we will discuss that a NomCom review comment was made by an NCUC member who is now following those (unintelligible), so active participation in (unintelligible). And this is a back up thing hopefully. It would be me online, so completely you can scrape it -- and a reference to the work meeting we had.

So policy community representatives, they will also be only online, so also a thing that can be scraped. And the regional briefing with you, so this part you would discuss what we did in the (unintelligible) intercessional, our presentations and our goals for 2008 and so on here again.

And we have a confirmation of two focal points of NCUC here, so that already helps us a lot.

We're not moving now, because we need the confirmations from other stakeholder groups on their time and locations. So as soon as we have that we will start moving this around.

So Louise, I'm sorry, I missed your hand, if you would like to comment again on the...

Louise Marie Hurel: No, it was just a comment on what Bruna was saying about the PDPs. I think that worked pretty fine on Abu Dhabi, from what I can recall. Okay, it's a different meeting, but we didn't have, like, the head of some of the PDPs.

So, but still we got some interesting insights overall of the (unintelligible) so I think that shouldn't be a barrier for addressing PDPs anyways, even though it's in a crucial day for them. Yes, just that.

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: Yes, we will need a lot of good will from our veterans as well, but I'm pretty sure you guys can do (unintelligible) and I'll be fine. And we have time; we have a lot of time to finish this agenda. When it comes to, I mean, moving the schedule around, our biggest roadblock really is other stakeholder groups. So I'll keep trying that and I'll tell you as soon as we have some response.

And then again, in the last crop, I think it's also quite interesting, I didn't think about the session after the crop situation. I thought of it before. But it's quite interesting right now that we have sessions that are traditionally allocated crops for NCUC and it was incredible results.

But I also thought about what we have been discussing now, meetings as training arenas. So meetings help our members engage exponentially because they feel - well they have to do (Paula's) work previously, during and after the meeting. So we will relate - we will connect the dots here.

And so that is a lot of updates. Ayden (unintelligible) I think is the person who will be with us (unintelligible). It could be them. It could be our veterans who will be there too, and (unintelligible), we also have (unintelligible).

And our governance meetings, again, we need to get this already. I'm sure pretty much all of the agendas our working teams will come out from our - from your (unintelligible).

And I have added their (unintelligible) because our meetings are never closed. Even our work meetings, they are never closed. Even our ET meeting is open. Before, it was on the ICANN calendar as closed. We always do our meetings open.

Does that mean that we got other stakeholder groups maybe dropping by? It does. But all of our deliberations, everything is open. We have to always have that in mind. And we have always to do our deliberations accordingly -- give justification when you need to strategize, find a time and a place to talk, but during the meeting is for deliberations and for addressing issues of NCUC.

Sorry, I have seen a hand, outreach (unintelligible). Yes, that would be our action items. I'm not asking Michelle to note action items here, because I think this is really sort of an emergency meeting first to deal with some things that are surfacing. And I will follow up with a summary for you all hopefully.

But I think we'll have most - a clearer picture of our preparations also on these (unintelligible) when we discuss what we have to do. Which a lot you are directing that project document.

So do you guys want to share the project documents? Yes, sure, comment on. And we have five minutes on that call. Or do you want to speak about it? Anyone want to speak on it? Yes, go on Ines.

Ines Hfaiedh: Sorry, it's not about the EC project document, but Bruna was asking about the - what we have as responsibilities, like the EC has responsibilities for ICANN 61.

I was also wondering if you, Renata, assigned the meeting (unintelligible) to someone, like when they go to the maybe newcomer's day or the - I don't know how they call it. And also there is a slot for NCUC at the boost. Can you assign it to someone else, or put it on a doc and someone volunteers? Thank you.

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: Thank you Ines. I actually asked (unintelligible) if we had to assign anyone from fellow. She said that there will be no fellowship sessions like before. So I guess I really don't need to assign anyone. But I had - I communicated that the (unintelligible) ICANN 61, but the EC would, and there will be EC designated (unintelligible) 61.

So sorry, I heard a sound but I didn't realize what it was. So I communicated that to Siranush and I think if she needs anything, she will reach out to Bruna or (unintelligible).

And for the NCUC (unintelligible) I think we decided on the NCUC list. If you could send the time, or do we have to choose the time? So then we could also take a few more days to see if our stakeholder (unintelligible) confirm because I imagine a GNSO council chair is there, for instance, everyone who wants to be there.

But on our tasks, as mentioned, I can't really remove you from your responsibilities too much, but I would like to ask all EC to be in the EC meeting, which is one of our work meetings.

It would be good, as well, if you could be in the membership affairs, which is the early start. So that's just one meeting. And we do have the regional briefing on constituency day. So find some time to drop by constituency day. Find some time to drop by outreach. Of course, for us, the longer you can stay with us, the best. But I do realize that I could be putting you all in trouble, taking a lot of your responsibilities.

So for outreach, my recommendation would be to be in the second block. That's when we really need help. And for constituency day, whenever regional briefings are, so block two, currently block two, but we may move that around.

So, and also if you have some suggestions here for block three (unintelligible) has participated in so many events in 2017 so it would be good to have it.

Great, Ines is telling us that there will be a doc (unintelligible) -- fantastic. So we'll choose that. I think by mid week we'll have our other stakeholder group (unintelligible). And if you have any other suggestions, this is a good time.

((Crosstalk))

Elsa Saade: I just wanted to ask a couple of questions, first of all, about membership affairs. It's a little bit confusing as to whether we are reactivating it or not, because the last time I checked, we didn't have 100% consensus on it being reactivated, so I'm not sure where we're at right now.

And second of all, I'd also like to suggest that we have a meeting like this every couple of weeks, even, like, through ICANN 61 and others so that we can put together all the agenda points that we couldn't delve into.



And yes, that's it, I just wanted to ask mainly about membership affairs because it's a little bit confusing for me whether there was a consensus or not.

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: Thanks Elsa. I'm going to do the - I think we should put in A or B a discussion on the membership group. And if anyone has the link to the project documents that Michelle could share, we have four extra 20 minutes. If anyone can stay, that's fine; we can follow up later.

On the (unintelligible) meetings, yes, we also have - remember, we also need to have members meetings. So we also need to have our regional calls. So the idea is to have these regional calls monthly.

So we could also discuss those times with our members. We normally do that. And we have now two conferences for our policyholder group, two conferences after ICANN 61. But I'm pretty sure having those members calls regularly will definitely be a good idea. And this is something that is on my mind for a long time now as well -- and it will happen.

So Ines, do you want to comment?

Ines Hfaiedh: Yes, thank you Renata. Well I was also going to talk about the membership affairs. I do think that we need to have a discussion about it, notwithstanding that it is important. But I don't think we should have a session on it from 8:30 to 9 on Saturday. Maybe this could be a change for the E Team actually to meet up and to update us on what they are doing. And then from 9 to 10:15 we could have EC meeting.

Also my question, why is the EC meeting open? I think this is the first time I see it's open. Thank you.

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: Hi Ines. So the membership and the EC meeting, they are together, so when we will (unintelligible) that's when we change time and all that. But we have a tradition of having meetings open. And we actually have criticized in the past closed meetings.

And I do not think that we need to have this meeting closed. This is something that we'll make NCUC one of the most closed constituencies, because remember, we already have the full day of policy course closed. So I would - that's not my advice to have those meetings closed.

However, this is something that if you all feel better to have this meeting closed, we can move on as such. But it's not something I would advise.

And before I was - I hope I had addressed all the other points. Bruna, go ahead.

Bruna Santos: I think when we put - when we saw the agenda for the EC meeting, maybe we can decide if it's open or closed. Let's say it like that, at least. But I'm not sure if it's the best choice to have it open. Thank you.

Woman: I have a quick comment. I checked with (Seranoush) right now and we are no longer having daily sessions for the (unintelligible), so there probably won't be (unintelligible) to talk about NCUC. Maybe on newcomer's day, maybe but I am still not sure.

Also I wanted to ask if we addressed all the points about ICANN 61. So we talked about outreach, we talked about constituency day. We were talking about membership affairs in EC. I don't agree - I also don't agree on keeping the meeting closed. For me, it can be open. It should be open just like our (unintelligible) which anyone can (unintelligible).

And yes, is there anything else about ICANN 61 that we should discuss? Oh, just one quick point about (unintelligible). Is anyone taking sort of care of them? Is anyone watching the type of content or anything else that (we use).

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: Yes, Bruna, our NCUC mentees do not have an assigned mentor (unintelligible). There's no one (funded) to be a mentor. But they have on site mentors according to the working group or the area of work they chose.

So I think Farell is with Stephanie and Tatiana with Olga, so that's because they both chose work on privacy - to work on privacy and mainly on RDS. And Olga also has her regional projects, so Tatiana has come on with working with her on that.

So the (unintelligible) was mainly by the mentor volunteering to the mentee -- the mentee saying their interest, and I reached out to some people who had been leading (unintelligible) and they volunteered.

But yes, they are - they will be focused on the policy course. We also - we had zero applications to the policy course that we want. We need to get those applications ASAP. And they will come from fellows, so reach out to the fellows you know who are NCUC members.

And what else? So that would be - that's mainly what the mentees will be doing. They will be focused on the policy course and engaging in policy. But yes, ask them to participate on all programs, to help with guests and confirming guests. Some guests you have to walk out the room to get the guests. Sometimes the guest doesn't show up. So we have to have strategies there.

Okay, oh, membership, let's discuss this in the next item. First, any other questions on mentees and our program on outreach constituency day and work meetings?

There be no more questions, we move one, so we will fine tune this agenda in the days to follow, but you have the general idea.

On the membership front, what do we have to do? So on the memberships, we have an outreach form. We have a member (intake) form. The outreach form is supposed to be (unintelligible) mostly interest to it given monthly in a summary by the chair on the general list or by an EC. And we have a membership intake form, which is the NCUC website. And we have an NCC new members survey, which we also send to our new members, supposedly monthly when NCSG EC approves that.

Now NCUC is going through a database revamp. Thank you Michael for your participation. So NCUC depends on that NCSG database revamp to have that membership database updated. And that membership database contains a lot of stuff -- members' profiles (unintelligible).

So I say let's give it a few -- we have a membership database called Next Week -- let's give it a few more time so that we - I got more information how this project is, and then we can kick start this group and discuss it in (unintelligible).

I do not know if we will have the group ready. Probably we'll just have the list and we'll start discussing the charter. But there's already a very good way forward. I mean not (unintelligible) has to be approved by (unintelligible), but the main purpose (unintelligible).

So let's do that. Let's wait for more information from NCUC member database future and then we move forward with our membership study and enrich ideas. Yes?

Woman: Hi Renata, can you just repeat the part where you were talking about the charter? It just got really confusing. And can you just repeat that? I think I lost in the middle.

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: Yes. We have working teams at NCUC -- those teams related to the governance of our constituency. Not really working groups. Working groups in ICANN, they have a charter approved by all EC - by all SONAC when they are cross community working groups. So it's a bit more complicated the format of the working group. We have working teams. So our membership group would be working team. We had a taskforce from procedures involved. We have the working team of EC.

But yes, so basically it's a group of people who join and say, "Oh, let's work on this aspect of NCUC." And I will need to build a document to do that work. But then again, as I said, we depend on information which is not on NCC (unintelligible). So let's wait a bit more for that information.

So yes, we had a taskforce, which was the procedures taskforce. We had taskforce (unintelligible). The taskforce was named as such because it was always meant to be temporary. When the procedures were done, it was finalized. But our working team, they can hibernate, but they do not necessarily - they don't get the lead at the archives. The open archives are preserved and work is there preserved, but it can inspire new work, working teams, new ad hoc working teams.

So can we work with that then? Can we agree working with that after the NCSG member database next fall, or updates that I may gather and we get back to the membership (unintelligible)? If anyone doesn't agree to that or has any other questions. Yes (unintelligible).

Woman: Sorry, old hand.

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: Okay. So yes, it won't take much longer anymore. We just need to get all our ducks in a row and then continue to work with that. And we are almost 15 minutes past. Oh yes, putting the ICANN in the EC meeting agenda (unintelligible) will have to do that. Even if we decide to start as soon as I have more information on membership that I can share with you, we will need to have this as continuous work. So definitely, this should be on your thoughts for the EC meeting.

Any other business? I'm going to give you two minutes. Yes, go ahead, Bruna.

Bruna Santos: Hi Renata. No, yes, I just think we needed to get out all the discussions we had in this call in one place (unintelligible) documents we should hold on to - we had here today in a side document.

I was trying to write some things up but I kind of lost track of everything else, because I have a lot to discuss about the outreaches. I know we still have a few days or few weeks before (Puerto Rico), but also time is passing by really fast. So we should have everything documented and try to see for which part of the agenda which member can help in. And if not, we can try to share between me and Elsa or I don't know, I'm just getting, like, super nervous about Puerto Rico. I know everything will be fine, but three weeks, it's short time. So yes.

((Crosstalk))

Woman: (Unintelligible).

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: Sorry, I missed that. But I'm just saying that I really like that you volunteered to write our summary, thanks. And yes, put it in a collaborative doc and we go on from there. Thank you. Louise?

Louise Marie Hurel: I just really wanted to stress that, seriously, Bruna, you can (unintelligible), like, we're - and Elsa, we're here to help on the organization of the outreach. It's not, like, everything should fall on both of your shoulders, and yes, count on us.

And I think this effort -- and not only for ICANN 61 but in terms of organizing -- all of the doc - like, it's not, like, it may seem, like (unintelligible) but we really need to organize stuff.

I don't know, Renata, if there's a Google drive or repository, but I think that should happen. And I know it's, like, more of a medium, long term thing, but I think it's so pressing, because it kind of - we're talking over here about the crop and we're talking about other initiatives, and some of the things are expressed explicitly on the procedures and there are other things that are not there because obviously they have a different character, such as the outreach form. I don't know if it is indexed over at the - I think it is, right? I think it is over the procedures. But I think maybe afterwards, after ICANN 61, we could try to at least organize all these documents at least in one document with the links, because I feel sometimes we're losing time because we're always trying to get back to certain references.

Maybe I'm too stressed right now but -- and sorry for being the organizational control freak here, but I just wanted to raise that point because I think it's just a moment for us to perhaps start thinking a little bit about this and I think we already talked a little during the intercessional.

But yes, I just wanted to raise this here, as I feel like it has been a recurring thing in our organization and in responding to the members, so.

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: Yes, no, that's actually an (unintelligible) item of work, (unintelligible) or some kind of organization of work in (unintelligible), so we'll discuss that. Elsa go ahead.

Elsa Saade: Thank you Renata, Elsa for the record. I just couldn't agree with more with Ines and Bruna about the things that they just mentioned. And I would - I think that even after intercessional, when we got together face to face and when we had discussions, it was very important for our team building basically as an EC. And going forward, I think we should take advantage of ICANN 61 and maybe put together a more organized way forward.

So I would just like to invite us to find a good amount of time during ICANN 61 where we can get together and maybe create a shared document or a handbook or a drive for us to be more organized going forward.

And another suggestion would be maybe we could have a more organized email communication in a sense where we can have all the things we have to tackle by end of the week -- one email and then we can just tackle everything at the same time rather than just go step by step and just - we would save time, basically.



So I think going forward, just taking advantage of intercessional was great because it kind of got us together more and got us to understand each other's tactics and understand each other's ways of doing things. And I think ICANN 61 can be another kind of stage for us to get up there and try to organize ourselves even more.

And another point that I would love to make is that -- especially about the members management, about the calls that are regional as well -- I think it's very contextual and I think it's a primary role of the EC to do members management, and it cannot be delegated to another team for now (unintelligible).

So basically, also ICANN 61 can be used to our advantage in terms of the members management whereby we organize together and we see, according to each other's context, how to take it forward. Thanks.

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: Thanks Elsa. Yes, I would say we have a request in queue for the EC to put our main list archives more visible, because that's also a good way also checking the mailing list, archives. You can see quickly what's pending.

And on the membership management, that interface is our umbrella organization that we need to search out. But also on the E reach part, we can start thinking about ideas, how to get people more engaged, and including how to just (unintelligible) through members that want to be engaged and members who don't. But I think we will have some time to discuss that.

I am so sorry, Michelle, we went over 20 minutes. I know (unintelligible) very busy at this time the year, preparing the ICANN meeting. So we are very grateful for (unintelligible) this call. It was last minute, but we had so much to talk.

And so thank you, everyone. We can adjourn - we can finish the call now.

Michelle DeSymter: Thank you so much Renata. The meeting has been adjourned. Have a great day, everyone.

END